Substances play a significant role in the treatment of many diseases. The two most commonly used types are biologics and drugs. Although both can be effective, there are differences between them.
So, what are they, and how do they differ? Let’s find out.
What Are Biologics?
Biologics are substances derived from living organisms or contain components of living organisms. They can come from whole cells or parts of cells.
Providers typically use biologics to treat conditions like autoimmune diseases, where the body’s immune system attacks healthy tissue. They also help treat cancer and other severe conditions.
Because biologics come from living organisms, they are complex molecules. That makes them harder to produce than drugs.
Conditions That Benefit From Biologics
Biologics can help treat conditions, or the symptoms of conditions, that result from an overactive immune system. These diseases include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis – a joint condition that causes pain and inflammation
- Psoriasis – a skin condition that results in redness, itching, and flaking
- Crohn’s disease – a digestive system condition that causes diarrhea, abdominal pain, and weight loss
- Cancer – where the immune system attacks healthy cells, causing them to grow out of control
- Hepatitis C – a liver condition that comes with inflammation and damage
How Are Biologics Manufactured?
Biologics come from living cells or parts of cells. Providers grow the cells in a laboratory before harvesting, purifying, and formulating them into a final product.
What Are Drugs?
Drugs are substances that help treat diseases or conditions. Like biologics, they can use natural or synthetic sources. They are usually small molecules that are easier to produce than biologics.
You may know drugs as:
- Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs – drugs you can buy without a prescription
- Prescription – drugs you can only get with a prescription from a healthcare provider
Conditions That Benefit From Drugs
Doctors recommend drugs to treat a wide range of diseases and injuries. Some common conditions that benefit from drugs are:
- Pain – characterized by discomfort that can range from mild to severe
- Inflammation – where the body’s tissues become swollen, tender, and red
- Infection – where harmful bacteria, viruses, or fungi invade the body and multiply
How Are Drugs Manufactured?
Providers may make drugs from natural or synthetic sources. Natural sources include plants, animals, and minerals. On the other hand, they create synthetic drugs in laboratories using chemicals.
Drugs can also result from a combination of natural and synthetic sources. Once the drugs are ready, they are purified and formulated into a final product.
How Do You Know Which Is Right For You?
The best way to determine the right option is to speak with your healthcare provider. They will assess your individual needs and make a recommendation based on your health history and current condition. They will consider:
- The type of condition you have
- The severity of your condition
- Your age
- Your weight
- Other medications you are taking
- Any allergies you may have
- Your overall health
Your healthcare provider will also take into account your preferences and lifestyle. They may recommend a biologic if you can’t take drugs or prefer a natural product. You may discuss your partiality with your healthcare provider.
Biologics Near You In Austin, TX
Biologics and drugs are two types of medications that can help treat many conditions. Both are helpful for various treatments, but they have significant differences. Consult your physician to see if biologics or drugs are right for you.
All-Star Orthopedics of Austin is here if you need biologics near you. Our providers are highly trained, experienced, and excited to give you the best care you deserve. You may call us at (512) 346-4933 to learn about our services. You may also use our secure appointment request form to book a consultation with the best orthopedic experts near you.
We look forward to serving you!